Friday, January 8, 2010

Tasting lemon, vanilla and mocha cupcakes at Dessert Club ChikaLicious

Cupcake case, Dessert Club ChikaLicious

Last night I tasted cupcakes from two places, one of them being Dessert Club ChikaLicious in the East Village. I've tried most of the cupcakes at most New York City bakeries and while I have my favorites, am always on the lookout for something new.

I found it at ChikaLicious (will just call it that for shorthand). Firstly, their cupcakes are so cute - small, but not mini cupcakes (though apparently those are in the works. Just right...especially if you're going to try a few. I got a lemon and a vanilla to start ($1.75 each).

Lemon and vanilla cupcakes at Dessert Club ChikaLicious

The lemon is on the left. The frosting is very rich and thick, almost like a lemon custard except it's not quite that thick and isn't overpoweringly lemon-y. The lemon taste is light, and the cake was very moist, I think a basic vanilla cake. The vanilla/vanilla cupcake was much the same, save for the frosting was vanilla-flavored rather than lemon. I think I liked the lemon better, but both were good.

Then I decided to try the mocha, which is one of their filled cupcakes, and costs $2.25.

Mocha cupcake, Dessert Club ChikaLicious

I'm not really a coffee drinker, but I do like certain coffee-flavored desserts. This one is filled with some thick chocolate/mocha-like substance. It's much more intense than the first two, even though again, the frosting has that same consistency. This one was very good but the mocha flavor was stronger than the lemon or vanilla flavors were. The chocolate inside was pretty thick, and I think because by then it was my fifth cupckae of the night (I ate half of them - will post about the Public Theater cupcakes later, doing them in reverse chronological order for some reason), I couldn't really handle it. I will try the mocha again to get a better sense of it, but I think if I had to pick, s'mores is still my absolute favorite, then maybe the lemon. It's light and creamy (I know those might sound like they don't go together, but they do, the frosting is very smooth and creamy, but it doesn't feel heavy in your stomach after you've eaten it).

Mocha cupcake, Dessert Club ChikaLicious

No comments:

Post a Comment


visitors map