Friday, January 8, 2010

Retro Meal..When We Were First Married..


I started to learn to cook back when my wife was 19 and I was 20- newlyweds! In Western Michigan, there is a large population of Dutch descended folks. I don't know why, but I heard once we use more cream of mushroom, or cream of chicken soup per population than just about anywhere! I was green, a newby to cooking..I had a couple of cookbooks, and a desire to become a better cook. Most of my recipes came off the box or the can! One of my first memories of a cooking success came from Campbell's Cream O Chicken soup! I spread the thick goop over some skin on chicken breasts and baked them.. I used Minute rice back then, as I didn't know any better.. It was a meal my wife and I enjoyed, both simple and good!
Last night, with our pantry getting low, I seasoned some boneless chicken breasts, dumped and spread a can of Cream of Chicken soup on them, and baked for an hour. I made white rice to go with it, which came out just right! the gravy is made with the chicken, which with added seasoning, was very tasty..
Sometimes it's good to revisit simple, it helps you remember good times when you were light on cash, but heavy on appreciating..

No comments:

Post a Comment


visitors map