Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mexican Casserole


I made this for dinner tonight and I was a little scared at first but I loved it. I wanted to eat more but I was stuffed after one serving. I got the recipe off Allrecipes.com and then modified it a bit because that's how I roll.

Ingredients
oil for frying
3/4 pound cubed skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
1/2 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used pinto beans and didn't drain them)
1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
1/4 cup salsa (My new favorite is Targets fresh Mild Salsa)
water as needed (if you don't drain the beans you don't need to add water)
1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
1 1/2 cups crushed plain tortilla chips (I cut up flour tortillas and added a layer to the center aswell as the top)

DIRECTIONS
In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute chicken in oil until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Add taco seasoning, beans, corn, salsa and a little water to prevent drying out. Cover skillet and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Transfer chicken mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with 1/2 cup of the cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.
I threw a little cheese in the middle for good measure but waited till the tortillas where crisp before I put some on top then cooked for about 5 mins more.
I know this is about the most non-thanksgiving recipe I could post the day before Thanksgiving but it's what I had for dinner and I liked it so much I had to post it. Thanks Cate for all your fun holiday recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment


visitors map